This Simple Cooking with Heart, creative Italian recipe has an interesting vegetable that the kids will think is fun to make and eat.
Servings 14 Servings
- 3 pounds Spaghetti Squash
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Small Onion Chopped
- 8 oz Canned, No-Salt Added Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Dried, Salt Free Herbs Italian Blend
- 1/8 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 16 oz Canned, No Salt Added Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Balls Bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup Dried Basil
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half. On a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, place halves of squash face down and bake for 1 hour or until tender.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, pepper, herbs and red pepper flakes. Cook until liquid is evaporated, about 2-3 minutes. Add tomato sauce and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Let squash sit at room temperature until just cool enough to handle. Take a fork and scrap flesh from outside working in, creating “spaghetti noodles”.
- Add squash "noodles" to sauce and remove from heat. Toss with mozzarella balls and fresh basil and serve.